Scoring is done by bringing the fish to the measuring station. Length is rounded to the nearest millimetre. Updates of current grand prize leaders will be posted on the Ice Fishing for the Cure Twitter account (@icefishforcure). Walleye under 18.1″ CAN NOT be kept and will need to be measured by derby staff and then released.
There will be one Grand Prize awarded for the longest fish (any species) caught during the Derby. The Grand Prize winner will be awarded ONE HALF OF THE NET DERBY PROCEEDS (registration fees less Derby expenses). Derby expenses include, but are not limited to, park permit fees and other costs. Runner-up prizes (gift cards, fishing equipment, etc) donated by Derby sponsors will be awarded to the longest Perch caught during the Derby.
THE OTHER HALF OF NET DERBY PROCEEDS WILL BE DONATED TO THE CANADIAN CANCER SOCIETY.
A full accounting of all funds will be posted to this site following the event.
1. All fish entered must be caught by hook and line, rod and reel, in a legal fashion determined by the Province of Ontario and follow all Conservation Laws. All entered fish must be caught within Lake Nipissing. Live bait as well as artificial lures may be used in the Derby.
2. The participant must have in their possession at the time of the catch and measuring their current Ontario fishing license (the fishing license is not required if the individuals is exempt by law). Proof of I.D. will be needed with each measure and/or claim of a prize. The individual must be willing and able to present these documents to any Derby official upon request during the Derby and the awards ceremony. If a child catches the fish, their parents ID will be accepted.
3. Two holes are allowed per derby participant.
4. Holes are on a first come first serve basis inside the derby fishing area.
5. The participant agrees to abide by these Official Rules and Regulations and agrees that failure to comply with any will result in automatic disqualification, forfeiture of all prizes, recognition as a prize winner and the right to enter any future Derby.
6. The participant will submit all disputes to the registration official.
7. A record of catch must be submitted along with any fish under consideration for prizes. This record will contain the participant’s information as well catch details (length, time and location of catch and equipment used) and time of submission.
7. Size is determined by length only. In the event of a tie the toss of a coin at the awards ceremony will determine the winner.
8. All fish must be shown on the date of the catch at the official Ice Fishing for the Cure measuring station. The hours for the Derby are 8am until 12pm and the measuring station will close at 12:30 pm PROMPTLY. The Prize ceremony will be held at the measuring station PROMPTLY at 1:00pm. You must return to the designated tournament measuring station by 12:30 PM with all your fish ready to be measured. There is a penalty of 5 mm per every five minutes you are late arriving.
9. The participant who enters the prize-winning fish will be the sole recipient of any prize. Any sharing of prizes will be handled by the participant, NOT the Derby committee.
10. Derby officials and members of their immediate families are not eligible for Derby prizes.
12. The participant freely grants Ice Fishing for the Cure irrevocable permission to use any photographs taken during the Derby or awards ceremonies, in whole or in part and for any length of time, on their Web site or any other Derby related material without compensation. Pictures may be used, in conjunction with other images, to promote future derbies.
13. SPECIAL RULES FOR YOUNG ANGLERS: Children under the age of 18 must have their parent or guardian’s signed consent to enter the tournament. An adult must accompany any child under the age of 16 on the ice and the adult must be entered in the tournament as well.
14.RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE: all participants must sign a waiver, release of liability, and covenant not to sue before registering and participating in the Derby. It is required that all participants take responsibility for themselves while participating in the Derby and accept all risks inherent to the event.
15) No vehicles of any kind are allowed inside the marked off derby area.
16) Pre-fishing on the lake the day of the tournament is prohibited.
17) No alcohol or drugs will be allowed in your possession or are to be consumed during the event. If you are found to be in violation, you will be disqualified and forfeit your entry fee.
18) Should the Derby be cancelled for any reason whatsoever, including bad weather or unsafe ice conditions, a refund will be given (less Eventbrite surcharge if done online.)
19) Any unsportsmanlike conduct, unsafe acts or failure to adhere to the tournament rules can result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
20) Tournament Director has the right to amend rules and regulations as they see fit without notice.
21) Only Commercial Portable Fish Huts made of cloth material that comply with fire rating laws may be used inside the official marked off derby area.
22) Decisions of the Ice Fishing for the Cure officials are FINAL.
On the day of the Derby you’ll find the Registration and Measuring Station under the Pagoda off Memorial Drive and next to The Boat.